- Telephone 0131 226 5097
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–10pm; Fri/Sat 9am–10pm.
- Seasonal times In winter, opens at noon during the week, and stays open later in August during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–10pm; Fri/Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.lailas-bistro.co.uk
Informal, friendly Old Town bistro giving an introduction to the tastes of the Mediterranean and the Levant.
A short stroll from the bustling tourist trail of the Royal Mile leads to the warm and welcoming Laila's Bistro. The sister restaurant to Pomegranate and Hanam's, it transforms with ease from daytime lunch stop, where a selection of mezze including tangy batata harra beg to be shared, to laid-back evening venue. The concise menu offers an enticing Mediterranean medley of uncomplicated mains with options from grilled chicken with pomegranate rice to a spicy lamb sausage casserole, while a bistro classics section featuring burgers and steaks veers somewhat off course. To start, the fried halloumi with cranberry sauce is satisfyingly salty and chewy, while saffron and cardamom ice-cream brings a taste of the exotic to the end of the meal. It's worth noting that the restaurant doesn’t serve alcohol, but it does offer a free BYOB option (although a 30p glass recycling charge applies). Take one of the tables by the window and relax watching the world pass by: no need to rush, there's always time for a few more olives.
- High point: The warm and friendly welcome
- Low point: Those looking for sophisticated dining could be disappointed
- Notable dish: Batata Harra
A cosy Mediterranean bistro in the heart of Edinburgh, Laila's is found in a quaint curved stone building in the heart of the Old Town. Surrounded by rustic exposed brickwork and Mediterranean canvases, nestle in cosy upholstered booths while enjoying a host of mezzes and Lebanese specials, succulent meat dishes and decadent Middle Eastern-style desserts.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of easy listening
- Capacity: 45 (24 outdoors)
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: No corkage charge, but 30p recycling charge per glass bottle applies. corkage (Wine, beer and cider only. No alcohol served in restaurant.)