The Lioness of Leith
- Telephone 0131 629 0580
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–1am; Fri & Sat 11am–1am; Sun 11am–12.30am.
- Seasonal times Later opening during Festival and festive period.
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat 11am–10pm; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.thelionessofleith.co.uk
This Leith favourite could be lifted up and plonked down in hipster-filled Brooklyn and not look out of place.
Leith is an area familiar with the up-cycling of old boozers. The trick is to turn them into cool new bars where people actually want to spend time – and the Lioness of Leith slickly made this transition in 2013. Mixing the original pub fixtures with fairy lights, cool screen prints and quirky decor, it is cosy and familiar in the way of a great neighbourhood local. It's also interesting enough to make it something of a destination in its own right. Cocktails are a big draw as is the well-executed food from a compact menu that includes bar faves like fish & chips and burgers, but also stretches to some more out-there options like Thai curry mussels and satay salmon. Cool tunes on the stereo, a pinball machine, great local beers on tap and acoustic sessions on Sunday evenings are all extras that bring this venue to life.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix from across the decades
- Live entertainment: Sunday night acoustic sessions
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 100 (40 if eating)
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle