The Lioness of Leith
- Telephone 0131 629 0580
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–1am; Fri & Sat 11am–1am; Sun 11am–12.30am.
- Seasonal times Later opening during Festival and festive period.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 11–1am; Sun 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri noon–10pm; Sat 11am–10pm; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Website www.thelionessofleith.co.uk
This Leith hipster favourite is one of the best in the city for drink, burgers and socialising.
Anyone who knows the bars of Leith knows the Lioness, a popular and versatile outpost in easy reach of Leith Walk, the Shore and Leith Links. On a weekend night, the place is packed – a good range of craft beers and spirits, decent wine selection and impressive cocktail list draws customers with a wide range of tastes. While the beautiful interior – a bright, open corner space which mixes original pub features with quirky decorations like arcade games and pinball machines – is enough to inspire a visit on its own, the recently upgraded food menu has also placed the Lioness among the best in the area. Classic fish and chips, nachos or veggie/non-veggie breakfasts aside, the place is yet another beer and burger joint, but what burgers they are. Choose from towering pieces of beef steak from Findlay’s, free-range chicken breast and four vegetarian options – for example, panko-crumbed mushroom or Cajun bean and halloumi – with toppings including chilli and cheddar, kimchi and wasabi, and onion rings and barbecue sauce. From the rich, cheese-smothered macaroni side to the revelatory halloumi chips, this is first-rate contemporary pub food.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional bands on Sun and open mic on Wed.
- Capacity: 60 seated, 150 standing.
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best pubs and bars around Edinburgh's Leith Walk and Easter Road31 May 2018
Crawl your way down this bustling boulevard to Edinburgh's hippest northern hotspot
Take a crawl around the Walk and you'll be well watered from top to toe with an ever-expanding collection of bars that have exploded onto one of Edinburgh's most happening streets, with plenty of places to eat in between.
Best burgers in Edinburgh22 May 2018
We've done the tough job of testing out Edinburgh's burger restaurants to give you our best picks
Although Edinburgh jumped on the burger bandwagon sometime after Glasgow, it has done a fierce job at catching up. New independent burger bars are battling queues at the door, chain restaurants are branching out around the city and old favourites are…