- Telephone 0131 668 4999
- Seasonal times Summer: Mon–Thu open until 10pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–3pm, 5.30–9pm; Fri 10am–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5.30–7.15pm; Sat–Sun 5–7.15pm. Note: the 7.15pm is not order placed – its meal eaten and left.
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £19.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.apiaryrestaurant.co.uk
Appealing Newington eatery striving to stand out from the bistro crowd with eclectic menus packed full of punchy flavours.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Baby sister to well-established older Bruntsfield sibling Three Birds, Newington’s Apiary has a lot to shout about. The bright, high-ceilinged dining room generates a pleasing buzz, with cosy suede-clad booths lining the walls and knowledgeable service setting just the right tone. Packed full of punchy flavours, the eclectic menus draw on global inspiration with a careful thought to local sourcing and dishes designed to stand out from the bistro crowd. Try house special Egyptian dukkah with smoked shallot vinegar sprinkled over artisan bread, confidently balanced monkfish and prawn laksa or a warming wild boar bhuna. Peanut butter and jam from an intriguing list of Over Langshaw Farm ice-creams follows groaning ‘Big Cow’ sharing platters of Borders fillet, marrowbone, mustards and fries. Bloody Mary with rioja float perks up a weekend brunch, with pulled pork mac 'n' cheese burgers appearing on good-value ‘two courses for a tenner’ daytime deals. In a friendly restaurant whose quirky suggestion bird box encourages diners’ feedback, it’s worth keeping an eye out for the popular half-price tester days when the seasonal menu changes.
- High point: Appealing menu that strives to be different
- Low point: Room feels at its best when it’s busy
- Notable dish: 'Big Cow' sharing platter of Border fillet beef and trimmings
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Fairly eclectic mix
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £15 per bottle