- Telephone 0131 668 4999
- Seasonal times Summer: Mon–Thu open until 10pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–3pm, 5.30–9pm; Fri 10am–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5.30–7.15pm; Sat–Sun 5–7.15pm. Note: the 7.15pm is not order placed – its meal eaten and left.
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.apiaryrestaurant.co.uk
Appealing Newington eatery striving to stand out from the bistro crowd with eclectic menus packed full of punchy flavours.
There’s a buzz about this place, and it’s nothing to do with bees. The warm atmosphere lends itself to lingering lunches, family get -togethers, and romantic dinners huddled in the cosy booths. High ceilings, mismatched chairs, and natural light give this airy bistro a comfortable, casual feel. Well-priced lunch, brunch, and pre-theatre menus offer exceptional value while dinner features ever-changing specials and giant sharing plates. The kitchen produces a diverse range of international dishes highlighting the well-sourced ingredients. Corn pakoras are the perfect vehicle for the chilli jam which accompanies them while spicy red Thai chicken isn’t shy of a chilli or two. A generous haunch of venison is tenderly pink and expertly cooked, paired well with a mound of creamed kale and artichoke mash. Desserts are big enough to share and feature a host of intriguing ice-cream flavours commissioned by the restaurant from Langshaw Farm. If you’re feeling adventurous, try the white chocolate and horseradish or blue cheese varieties, and don’t forget to cast your vote on the marmite ice-cream: you'll either love it or hate it.
- High point: Eclectic, modern, and experimental dishes
- Low point: When the menu says spicy, it means spicy
- Notable dish: The quirky selection of fresh ice-creams from Langshaw Farm
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled playlists
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £15 per bottle