- Telephone 0131 629 1750
- Opening times Daily: 10am–midnight.
- Seasonal times Open slightly later in summer and Edinburgh Festival season
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £8.95 (Mon–Sat); £24 (evening meal)
- Website mia-restaurant.co.uk
Relaxed Italian restaurant with a quirky vibe, good for families and groups looking for a fun meal.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Airy and quietly stylish, Mia accommodates a lot of people in a large space divided by its central bar and kitchen. On the tables, antique shop side plates are prettily mismatched and the menu comes inside an original vintage album cover – think country-and-western compilations to Elton John classics. As menus go, it’s a long-player – all the usual Italian staples are there alongside some more imaginative combinations. Scallops with creamy white cannellini beans is a winner and the melanzane alla parmigiana is text-book unctuous. The specials board is brief and some of the main courses might hint at a lack of passion in the kitchen but a ravishing crème brûlée ticks all the flavour and texture boxes and service is genuinely conscientious.
- High point: Warm, relaxed atmosphere
- Low point: Feeling that the kitchen might run on auto-pilot
- Notable dish: Melanzane alla parmigiana
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian, jazz, an eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music, predominantly guitar
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle