Pig in a Poke
- Telephone 0131 226 1616
- Seasonal times Possibly longer in Edinburgh Festival – check social media for details
- Food served Mon–Fri 10.30am–4pm; Sat/Sun 10.30am–5.30pm.
- Average price Soup and a pork roll £5.90 (set lunch)
- Website www.piginapoke.co
Tiny city-centre cafe serving one of life's simple pleasures: pork between bread.
There are few things in life that offer such simple pleasure as pork between bread – whether that be a well-made bacon sandwich with real ketchup, a proper snapping hotdog with mustard, or a ham sandwich on granary bread. So it takes a bold enterprise to set its stall so completely on a single dish like Pig in a Poke does. And, with the explosion of places offering pulled pork seemingly everywhere these days, this relative newcomer with its simple hog roast offerings faces stiff competition. They succeed by doing exactly what you’d hope, delivering well-cooked meat, in a well-fired bun, with stuffing, crackling and apple sauce. Sure, you can have your pork served in other ways (in a wrap, panini or even on its own for the carb conscious) and with a host of other condiments, but why bother? As with many simple joys in life, the original way is still the best.
- High point: A well-executed classic sandwich
- Low point: When the pork's gone, it's gone
- Notable dish: Pulled pork roll with crackling, stuffing and apple sauce
- Delivery: Delivery through Deliveroo
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 90s tunes
- Capacity: 9
- Open since: 2013