- Telephone 07910 282040
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 9am–4pm
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.cottonrake.com
A West End classic pretty much as soon as it opened, with artisan-baked breads, tarts and sandwiches of striking quality.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Everything in this artisan bakery brings happiness. Their bread is crisp and flavoursome just on its own, and put to delightful use in gourmet sandwiches – a tomato relish contrasts marvelously with crumbly cubes of feta, while glossy, sharp tarragon mayo takes their BLT to a new level. Shoulder of pork and Stornoway black pudding pop up in sausage rolls, and their ham and cheese croissant is perhaps the best in town. Any wonder since opening in 2013 there's been a lunchtime queue going out the door (when the 8 seats are valued like prime real estate). Along with the bread, it’s the cakes that are raved about – tarts of chocolate or roasted rhubarb, blueberry frangipanes and the like – of the same high standard as everything else baker Stefan Spicknell takes out his oven. Plans are afoot for a second, bigger space in 2016 bringing even more of their operation (roasting, etc) in-house.
- High point: The smell of the bread
- Low point: So few seats – it would be less cruel to have none
- Notable dish: BLT with tarragon mayo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: just the radio - but typically rather quirky and cool
- Capacity: 8
- Open since: 2013