- Telephone 0131 344 4295
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon. Closed Mon.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £22.50 (set evening meal)
- Website www.bistroprovence.co.uk
A little piece of Leith that is forever Provence, this small but ambitious bistro brings some Gallic sunshine to Commercial Quay.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A little piece of Leith that is forever Provence, this small but ambitious bistro is bringing some Gallic sunshine to Commercial Quay, where sprigs of lavender and carefully curated bric-a-brac combat the polished homogeneity of these converted bond warehouses. Michael Fons, who is both proprietor and lead chef, is a man of boundless enthusiasm and passion. His attention to detail shines through in the food which, while strongly influenced by the country-cooking style of Provence, is created with an exactitude and flair that is far from one-note. A canapé of bleu d’Auvergne and walnut on an Arran oatcake is a complementary blend of Scottish ingredients and French panache, while starters include a chunky, herby terrine with a sharp spike of saltiness delivered by a judicious scattering of capers and a hit of sweetness from a red onion confit. Mains offer a homemade Toulouse sausage with a mountain of cloudy mash or a crisp-skinned and richly gamey guinea fowl. Finish with a delicately rich raspberry frangipane or a buttery slice of bitter chocolate tart with salted caramel ice-cream.
- High point: Incredible value for money
- Low point: Can be a bit chilly
- Notable dish: Stuffed guinea fowl with smoked cauliflower purée and red wine jus
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic and contemporary French pop
- Live entertainment: Occasionally cabaret singers, details in the newsletter.
- Capacity: 56 (35 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £16 per bottle