The Devil's Advocate
- Telephone 0131 225 4465
- Opening times Mon–Sun 9am–1pm.
- Seasonal times Flexible during festival, check Facebook for Hogmanay
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3.30pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Website devilsadvocateedinburgh.co.uk
Quality food and drink within an imaginative space, all tucked into one of Edinburgh’s most distinctive closes.
Despite being tucked down a close off the High Street, the throng in the Devil’s Advocate suggests this is a bar firmly on Edinburgh’s radar – and for good reason. Owner Stuart McCluskey, who is very good at bars, has kept the old stone walls and industrial fittings of the original Victorian pump house the bar is set into. But clever lighting, filtering through 300 bottles of whisky, creates a beautiful amber glow which warms the bar, and a mezzanine floor and hidden booths add to that welcoming feeling. Get your own glow with a whisky matched with your meal: a BenRiach with a smoked fish board; or a Dailuaine alongside orzo with courgette, peas and sheep’s cheese. The menu changes with the seasons so you’ve plenty of reasons to go back. Not a whisky fan? Enjoy an excellent cocktail or choose from the plentiful local beers on tap.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff playlists - eclectic
- Capacity: 50 (+30)
- Largest group: 11
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 32
- House wine: £22 per bottle