Boteco do Brasil
Brazilian theme bar packing in the students with party vibes and cocktail deals.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A slice of Rio de Janeiro is alive in the capital. This is a colourful reconstruction of a Brazilian bar and eatery where the music is uplifting, footballs hang from the ceiling, one TV screen shows a game in action, the other happy carnival scenes. Grab a booth to share tapas, a beer or cocktails. Enjoy plates of lightly spiced fishcakes and grilled vegetables with extra garlicky bread. Love your meat? There’s plenty here with mains including whole roast chicken, marinated sirloin with mash and a feast stew of ribs, sausage, smoked beef and salt bacon. Those prepared to wait a bit can have a traditional ‘Bauru’ burger with spicy molho sauce and side of refried beans. Or choose a plate of salty deep-fried fish, calamari, and tiger prawns on a bed of salad or chips. Desserts are for the sweetest of teeth and include torta do chef – rich balls of a condensed milk and chocolate mix topped with whipped cream. A boteco for a fun night out that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
- High point: The décor and overall party vibe
- Low point: The stale beer smell
- Notable dish: Brazilian fishcakes
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin beats
- Live entertainment: Dance classes - salsa etc; Latin Connection club night on Fridays, Favela Boteco on Saturdays
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.99 per bottle