Boteco do Brasil
Brazilian theme bar packing in the students with party vibes and cocktail deals.
Plastic palms, Christ the Redeemer mural, framed Ronaldhino and Kaka footie shirts: yes, it’s a Brazilian-themed bar. Over the road from Edinburgh Uni, it’s popular with students who pack in for cheap cocktails and pre-club partying, while regulars come for a roster of dance classes (salsa, bachata) in the venue downstairs. Boteco’s all-day menu is themed on traditional Brazilian home-cooking-meets-street-food, with dishes drawn from all Brazilian compass points. However, reality sometimes fails to match the enticing promise of the menu. A long list of beach bar tapas includes risoli de camarão (prawn-stuffed pastry parcels) and mariscos (mussels and clams cooked in white wine). For mains, try the bauru, the original Brazilian burger with strips of roast beef, or go for a regional dish like Bahia’s xinxim de galinha – chicken in a cashew and coconut sauce. Desserts include arroz doce (rice pudding spiced with cinnamon and cloves), and brigadeiro (condensed milk and chocolate balls). After another few Caipirinhas, maybe you’ll feel like you’re in Rio.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin beats
- Live entertainment: Dance classes - salsa etc; Latin Connection club night on Fridays, Favela Boteco on Saturdays
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.99 per bottle