Panda & Sons
Tucked downstairs on a corner of Queen Street, this hidden prohibition-themed cocktail bar offers unusual concoctions.
Behind a barber shop façade, downstairs, through a bookshelf door, lies this speakeasy with candles in Brylcreem tins, two traditional barber’s chairs and a diverse clientele. Knowledgeable floor staff are on hand to guide you through the drinks menu where premium spirits are blended sympathetically with an exotic range of bitters and homemade additions. Concoctions cover all tastes: from the sweet Local Belleza – gin flavoured with strawberries; to the bitter Smokey and the Pandito – a Negroni-style tequila cocktail served in a bottle filled with mesquite smoke. Classics are respectfully made on request. Draught beers and ales are predominantly Scottish, with a small selection from the rest of the world. The wine list is a well-priced tour of the world's better-known grapes with a few lesser-knowns to discover too. A selection of bar snacks and a generous I. J. Mellis cheeseboard is available.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80's Jazz and 70's Disco
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri and Sat
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 15 (£30 deposit for more than 10)
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £19 per bottle