Ka Ka Lok
- Telephone 0141 353 6528
- Food served Fri–Wed 4pm–midnight. Closed Thu.
- Average price £17 (evening meal)
Traditional Chinese food made with quality ingredients in a smart diner close to St George's Cross.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With three Chinese restaurants packed into the corners of one block, this part of St George’s Cross has plenty to offer fans of the cuisine. Ka Ka Lok, however, is doing something special. The traditional Chinese menu has an emphasis on quality and authenticity, with many ingredients imported from China, such as the ‘sizzling’ pomfret fish. No corners are cut here, and that shines through in starters such as the soft crab or pan-fried dumpling. For those not afraid of a little heat, the ‘spiced beef in hot spicy’ packs quite a punch with four types of chilli. The European menu features curries and satays and, although they might not be the cheapest on the block, the portion size and quality of the dishes represents real value for money – something to bear in mind if ordering takeaway. If you sit in, the space is clean and uncluttered, with neutral walls and dark wooden tables. All this, along with the helpful staff, leads to a deeply satisfying dining experience.
- High point: Plump king prawns with sizzling ginger
- Low point: Deciding what to order
- Notable dish: Sizzling lamb chop with tomato sauce
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle