Ka Ka Lok
- Telephone 0141 353 6528
- Food served Fri–Wed 4pm–midnight. Closed Thu.
- Average price £17 (evening meal)
Traditional Chinese food made with quality ingredients in a smart diner close to St George's Cross.
One of only a few places in the city that manages to combine authentic and varied dishes of the Far East with enough sophistication and ceremony in the surroundings to be the kind of place you could take the in laws, probably. Two long menus offer dishes from a Chinese or English selection – but patrons are invited to mix and match. Not everything sounds appetizing in translation – 'Fish head with vegetables' probably gets few patrons salivating unless they are in the know. But the great variety and difference from cookie-cutter Chinese menus elsewhere in the city is very refreshing. A cumin lamb on skewer is a super spicy starter as is the oily but delicious salt and chilli chicken. In mains the Szechuen-style duck has huge chunks of tenderly stewed duck with bamboo shoots and hunks of fresh peppers and ginger pieces. From the veg selection a Chinese water spinach in shrimp sauce offers dripping, wilted greens to accompany. Definitely one of Glasgow's more interesting Chinese restaurants.
- High point: Dishes packed with flavour
- Low point: Strong competition a walk away
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle