The Bothy Restaurant & Drinkery
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
The recent revamp of the Murrayfield Hotel's bar and restaurant has proved a welcome addition to the neighbourhood. Although obviously popular on rugby match days and concert nights, thanks to its position opposite Murrayfield Stadium, the Bothy is making a real effort to appeal to local residents in an area otherwise bereft of drinking options and is as family friendly as any cafe. With daily activities including storytelling and crafts, it's something of a haven for local parents looking to entertain kids on a rainy day. The south-facing beer garden has also been given a major makeover, with ample seating to take advantage of the merest hint of that yellow ball in the sky. Inside, food is classic pub fare done well, with well-sourced meat and a fair number of veggie options. There's craft beer on draft, including their own Bothy Ale, plus a decent list of wines by the glass and some classy cocktails. The modern decor features monochrome floor tiles with oversized lampshades and exposed brick walls, with booths for cosy catch-ups, and there's live music on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as an array of evening events chalked up on the 'Our Community' blackboard.
- High point: Something for everyone in this community-driven bar
- Low point: Avoid on match days if you don't like crowds
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live muic on Fri/Sat, quiz, kids storytelling - you name it!
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle