Cosy, affordable wine and cheese bar nestled in a Broughton Street basement.
A tiny enclave hidden away in a Broughton Street basement, Pickles is the sort of neighbourhood place that springs up from time to time and just … works. With seating for under 30 people, the informal, friendly vibe is just as welcoming to the rambunctious weekly regulars as it is to the slightly nervous couple on their second date: there’s a cosy corner for everyone here. Generous platters of Scottish cheese and charcuterie do more than take the edge off your hunger after a long day in the office, so if you’re only stopping in for a couple of pre-dinner drinks you might be best to opt for a bowl of nuts or plump olives to accompany your tipple of choice. The wine list has offerings from all over the world, including a good number by the glass, and there is also a wide selection of Scottish and international beers.
- High point: Great atmosphere for a drink with friends
- Low point: The wine list could be more varied
- Notable dish: Scottish cheese platter
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 20-30 inside (12 outside)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15 per bottle