- Telephone 0131 556 7930
- Opening times Mon–Fri 5:30–10pm; Sat & Sun noon–10pm.
- Food served Wed–Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £16.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.ilovebodega.com
Leith neighbourhood taqueria offering fresh and fiery soft tacos inspired by international flavours.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
While many Mexican offerings in Edinburgh focus on traditional flavour combinations, a trip to Bodega breaks the mould. The starters/sharers still offer a nod to old school with guacamole or black bean and melted cheese dip, both served with corn tortilla chips. But the soft taco selection reveals the international and street food influences which place this establishment ahead of the pack. Again, there are some traditional notes, but there’s also globetrotting flavours such as Japanese-inspired avocado tempura with wasabi mayo, while a glance at the specials board steers closer to home with panko-coated haggis and sriracha. Each taco unveils a new adventure but remains perfectly cooked and balanced. Desserts once again highlight the versatility of the kitchen with traditional churros or innovative crocodile pie; a silky smooth lime and avocado treat. This Leith Walk taqueria is a festive, colourful yet snug space, with its relaxed and cheery service and BYOB policy creating a celebratory atmosphere.
- High point: Never a dull mouthful
- Low point: Snug room means booking ahead is highly advised
- Notable dish: Baja-style crisp cod taco with fried potato matchsticks and chipotle mayo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: £2.50 per head corkage (Unlicensed at the moment)