Leith neighbourhood taqueria offering fresh and fiery soft tacos inspired by international flavours.
On Leith Walk, it can sometimes feel like restaurants are jostling for position, such is the proliferation of openings in recent years. Bodega is almost a blink-and-you'll-miss-it space, its unassuming exterior leading to a cosy dining room-style set-up. One long bank of near-communal seating and two tables for two mean there's little choice but to scooch up and get friendly. This homespun aesthetic is reflected in the staff's delight in stopping to chat and recommend their pick of the succinct menu. The main event is a selection of street-style tacos that buck traditional Mexican food trends. Sure, the black bean and cheese dip starter is pleasingly familiar, with a spicy punch to boot, but the smoky carne asada steak is tempered with cool ranch dressing, while fusion gets a look-in with crunchy tempura tiger prawns and Asian slaw. Scallion fries on the side are a lighter take on onion rings; battered and ripe for dipping into sweet mustard sauce. It's BYOB, but you might not want to when you're tempted by the Jarritos Mexican sodas on offer – bright pink guava or super sweet mango to cool things down a bit.
- High point: It feels like the staff genuinely want you to be there
- Low point: It can get quite snug, so advance booking is a must
- Notable dish: Street-style tacos
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled world fusion music
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: £2.50 per head corkage (Unlicensed at the moment)