- Telephone 0131 553 7036
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 11am–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.wagamama.com
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Wagamama’s second Edinburgh branch and sixth in Scotland overall is located on the top floor of Ocean Terminal. Once ensconced within it's easy to forget you’re in a shopping centre, though reality may be harder to shake if you’re sitting at one of a handful of tables stationed outside the restaurant’s doors. The chain's signature wooden bench seating conveys functionality, but the atmosphere remains laid back and welcoming. The menu, meanwhile, caters for most appetites. For delicately flavoured, veg-packed and virtuous opt for the itame. This tongue-tantalising dish has a coconut and lemongrass soup base, topped with either chicken, prawn or tofu and given a zingy finish by lime and coriander. It’s gluten-free and, for those with intolerances, staff have a list of which dishes are allergen-free or can be adapted to suit. For comfort food, you can’t go wrong with the deep-fried, Panko-breadcrumb-coated chicken katsu curry served with chopstick-friendly sticky rice. The lack of branch individuality – even the background music is the same in every branch – may stop it feeling like a fine-dining experience, but it’s a very pleasant one nonetheless.
- High point: Welcoming staff who really know the dishes
- Low point: Kirin may be a premium beer but £5.75 for 500ml is a premium price
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle