- Telephone 0141 339 8558
- Opening times Mon–Sun 10am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Thu 11am–9pm; Fri/Sat 10am–9pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.thehillbyresroad.com
Super stylish bar with draught cocktails and craft beer drawing in a diverse crowd of drinkers and diners.
Huge windows that frame the Byres Road bustle define this bright, corner venue, where stripped back walls and ridiculously cool pendant lights create an air of contemporary elegance. The Hill offers a good mix of beer, wine and cocktails. Yes there’s craft beer, but not obsessively so – the more intriguing offer is draught cocktails, the blackcurrant Mojito almost shimmers it’s so summery. On the food side, there’s enough here to satisfy – a range of burgers offers up something almost refined in scale relative to some rivals, while homespun favourites such as steak pie have their own quirks, in this case chorizo providing a bite. There are smaller plates for those looking for just wine and nibbles, and a limited but enticing weekend brunch menu. It’s not easy becoming established on Byres Road but the Hill is scaling the heights.
- High point: Those huge windows
- Low point: Limited vegetarian options
- Notable dish: Beef brisket burger
Eat Drink Happy
Glasgow has a fabulous new addition to its hospitality scene, a place in which to eat, drink and be happy.
Offering delicious food, mouth-watering cocktails and a buzzing atmosphere, The Hill is located on the vibrant and bohemian Byres Road, on the site where once stood the Rubaiyat, one of the city’s most iconic venues.
A real feature of The Hill is its incredible cocktail list, offering a mixture of classics and contemporary signature fare. What’s more, customers can enjoy a trio of bespoke creations – including the Rubaiyat named in honour of the much-loved venue – served on tap from an amazing period-style font.
The Hill’s menu features an array of brasserie-style favourites – among them beef bourguignon, homemade burgers, steaks, mussels, Cullen skink and fish & chips – plus house specials like celeriac cannelloni and warm poached egg salad, all cooked to order and made from premium, seasonal ingredients. Also available are a range of delicious sandwiches, with fish fingers and tartar sauce destined to be a particular favourite.
The Hill is also delighted to be working with another local company, Dear Green Coffee Roasters, a central Glasgow based artisan coffee roaster committed to sustainable producers
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: soul / pop
- Live entertainment: Live DJ Friday and Saturday;acoustic live music last Sunday of the month
- Capacity: 60-70
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £16 per bottle