Taking its name from a nearby moor, the Tullibardine distillery was built on the site of a former brewery with links to King James IV. Having first opened in 1949, it then passed through the hands of a succession of owners until it was mothballed in the nineties by Whyte & Mackay. After lying dormant for almost a decade, a small consortium bought the premises and stock and appointed the late John Black as Master Distiller. His expertise helped develop a selection of Highland single malts, using water drawn from the Danny Burn and aged in bourbon and sherry casks. Now owned by French drinks company Picard Vins & Spiritueux, whisky lovers can enjoy impressive tours and tastings at the smart visitor centre and shop.