- Telephone 0131 281 0526
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon–4pm, 5–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri until 6.30pm
- Average price £14.90 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95 for two courses with free plum wine or green tea
- Website www.harajukukitchen.co.uk
Popular Bruntsfield spot for locals seeking a taste of Japan.
The Harajuku district of Tokyo gets referred to as the capital of ‘kawaii’ – roughly translated as cute – for all its eccentric boutiques, vintage shops, pancake cafés and parikura photobooths which have young people queuing out the door. While Bruntsfield isn’t the epicentre of teen fashion, Harajuku Kitchen offers a genuine Japanese dining experience with family recipes that go back over three generations. Like most Asian food, the dishes are designed to share, so ordering nigiri, tempura, sashimi, noodle soup and mochi for dessert is never frowned upon. Small dishes include tender Scottish pork gyoza and agenasu koumi dare, an aubergine recipe that’s packed full of flavour. The specials board changes regularly depending on the produce that comes in, giving the kitchen a chance to show their creative flair – fingers crossed that the salmon tempura sushi becomes a permanent addition. Staff do their best with full tables in an often crowded space, bringing food out as and when it’s ready. If you’ve only got time for gyoza on the go, Harajuku do takeaway, delivery and can also be found at a weekly market in Stockbridge – Edinburgh’s own kawaii capital.
- High point: Set main courses for the non-sharers
- Low point: If you want to share, the small tables don’t make it easy
- Notable dish: Soft-shell crab tempura
- Delivery: Deliveroo – £2.50 delivery charge, must order £15 or more.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2013 November
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4, including plum wine
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
Q&A: Kaori Simpson – Harajuku Kitchen27 Oct 2014
Head Chef talks festive food as Christmas approaches
How does your restaurant change in look and atmosphere in December? What effect are you hoping for? There's always such a buzz in atmosphere at Harajuku Kitchen in the run up to Christmas. We have a lot of people who book their Christmas parties with…
Food review: Harajuku Kitchen25 Feb 2014
Richard Lumgair and Kaori Simpson's Japanese restaurant goes beyond sushi
When former broadcast journalist turned farmer Richard Lumgair decided he wanted to open a Japanese restaurant, serendipity sent him in the direction of Stockbridge Market stallholder and sushi specialist Kaori Simpson. Their new Bruntsfield venture…