- Telephone 0131 281 0526
- Food served Tues–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–11pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun until 6.30pm
- Average price £12.95 with free plum wine or green tea (set lunch); £14.90 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95 for two courses with free plum wine or green tea
- Website www.harajukukitchen.co.uk
Popular Bruntsfield spot for locals seeking a taste of Japan.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The simple, chic, light-wood interiors of Harajuku Kitchen are a world away from the frantic garishness of their namesake Tokyo district, and this is no bad thing: here is a calm, tranquil oasis in Bruntsfield, a popular spot with locals seeking a taste of Japan. Orders are sent out as and when ready, so there’s no starters or mains here: simply a succession of elegant and intriguing flavours and textures. Beef tataki is pinkly rare and pleasingly soused in a sherried citrus ponzu sauce, while the more herbaciously inclined will thrill to the finely textured vegetarian gyoza, which have the gleeful slipperiness of a really great kiddie meal, dipped in a mouth-shrivelling vinegar sauce. Sophisticated, and lovingly arranged beside ginger, soy and wasabi, come fresh assorted sashimi, succulent and boasting a lovely, cool mouth-feel. If you’re a bit faint of heart for raw fish, the vegetarian gourmet maki offers the sweet taste of kanpyo (calabash) and fluffy omelette, wrapped in pearlescent-grained, delicately seasoned rice. If you’ve a cavernous belly, opt for the dashi-broth udon noodle soup: oh my, so umami!
- High point: Lovingly prepared delicate dishes
- Low point: Sashimi portions aren't for those looking to fill their boots
- Notable dish: Vegetarian gyoza
- Delivery: Deliveroo - £2.50 delivery charge, must order £15 or more.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2013 November
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Q&A: Kaori Simpson – Harajuku Kitchen27 Oct 2014
Head Chef talks festive food as Christmas approaches
How does your restaurant change in look and atmosphere in December? What effect are you hoping for? There's always such a buzz in atmosphere at Harajuku Kitchen in the run up to Christmas. We have a lot of people who book their Christmas parties with…
Food review: Harajuku Kitchen25 Feb 2014
Richard Lumgair and Kaori Simpson's Japanese restaurant goes beyond sushi
When former broadcast journalist turned farmer Richard Lumgair decided he wanted to open a Japanese restaurant, serendipity sent him in the direction of Stockbridge Market stallholder and sushi specialist Kaori Simpson. Their new Bruntsfield venture…