- Telephone 0131 228 2916
- Food served Mon–Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 4–7pm
- Average price £7.95 (drink + main) 11.30am–4.30pm Mon–Fri; £13 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.cromapizza.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
If you thought the Odeon cinema had disappeared from Lothian Road, fear not. It is still there; it has just been nudged out of plain sight by a pizzeria that is partnering with a couple of similar cinema sites across the country. This recent venture is run by three former members of the Pizza Express team, and it shows in the décor, the menus and the clientele. Their mixed antipasti is good, providing the cured meats and accompaniments you’d expect, and is served with impressive freshly baked rosemary bread, although slightly scrimping on the buffalo mozzarella. The pizza menu is divided into three and is pretty self-explanatory with classics, Croma originals and gourmet pizzas. Gourmet pizzas like chicken piri piri seem overloaded with ingredients – spicy chicken breast, red onions, green peppers, jalapenos, field mushrooms, garlic, mozzarella and tomato – but still prove a popular choice. Desserts steer off the Italian track with key lime pie and banofee mess. It is certainly serving a better quality of food than the glass and neon façade suggests, but their claim to originality seems unfounded.
- High point: Offers a quick bite before a film
- Low point: Décor fails to entice
- Notable dish: Antipasti
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80 (150 standing)
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £9.60 half litre carafe per bottle