The Potting Shed
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 662 9788
- Bar open Sun–Thurs noon–11pm; Fri–Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5–9pm; Sun noon–7pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon––Fri noon–3pm, 5–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £9.95/£7.50 for students
- Website www.thepottingshededinburgh.co.uk
Pleasingly quirky, allotment-themed gastropub, with tasty, seasonal, local food and a wide selection of wines, cocktails and real ales.
Deliberately quirky, the décor of this gastropub puts a fresh spin on the gardening theme, with lampshades made from pots and garden pails, and an eclectic collection of gardening implements adorning the walls. Candlelight softens any rough edges and it’s all just the right side of kitsch (despite the addition of plastic pot plants). Drinks-wise, there’s a broader than average wine list, some creative cocktails and 18 draught or cask ales. The food is very definitely a notch above pub grub, in both ambition and execution. Try a beautifully presented ‘small plate’ of seared scallops, peas, chorizo and sea vegetables or crusty homemade bread with dips or soup. From the ‘big plates’, opt for the comfort of burgers or steak or try a Parma ham-wrapped monkfish with handmade gnocchi. With smart service, a well-crafted menu and a wide range of drinks, there’s plenty to bring you back to this patch of earth.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Acoustic singers. Unplugged nights, occasional DJ's, Fridays and Saturdays
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle