The Priory Bar & Kitchen
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 229 5676
- Opening times Daily: noon–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 10am–7pm
- Food served Mon–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 10am–6pm
- Average price £15 (set lunch); £12.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.theprioryedinburgh.co.uk
Recently opened at time of going to print and even more recently bought over by new owners, the Priory can be forgiven for having the air of a venue that's just finding its feet. It’s got a certain expectation surrounding it, however, because the premises used to be home to the locally popular Cuba Norte, and some time spent in the unoccupied wilderness has given way to an attractive refurbishment with the Priory’s arrival. It echoes the look of a lot of high-spec new pubs, with dark, clean lines and stylised naked bulbs providing light. The menu is in a state of flux at the time of writing, with the new owners planning a greater selection and a range of tapas options to bolster a modest but well-formed range which includes a panko-crumbed chicken burger, Scandinavian-style tagliatelle and the old stand-by battered haddock and chips. Weekend breakfasts and business lunches are also available.
- High point: Wine and cocktail options are good
- Low point: Still finding its groove
- Notable dish: Scandinavian tagliatelle with white fish and bacon meatballs
- Private dining: 100 standing
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Blues and jazz during the day, house and swing in the evening.
- Capacity: 100 seated and 80 standing
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle