Mary's Milk Bar
- Opening times Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–6pm. Closed Mon.
- Seasonal times Open 7 days a week during the Edinburgh Festival: Mon–Thu 11am–7pm; Fri/Sat 11am–8pm; Sun noon–6pm
- Food served Apr–Sep: Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–6pm. Oct–Mar: Tue–Sat 11am–6pm; Sun noon–6pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £7 (coffee and an ice-cream bomb)
- Website www.marysmilkbar.com
Quirky vintage-styled hangout with daily-changing ice-cream flavours, artisan chocolates and stunning views of Edinburgh Castle.
Having progressed from art school in Edinburgh to ice-cream school in Italy, Mary now pours her creative genius into weird and wonderful tubs of gelato at her Grassmarket milk bar. Tourists will inevitably be stopped in their tracks by this quirky little retro hangout with stunning views of Edinburgh Castle. Meanwhile, curious locals return to check out a daily-changing lineup of ice-creams. In berry season, staff collect fruit at a local pick-your-own, fresh for the churn. In the colder months, they toy with a plethora of alternative flavours from red bush tea to white chocolate and thyme. All are artfully concocted in the café’s small kitchen, alongside the artisan chocolates she sells in tiny batches – a recent collection included parkin treacles, clove and chilli and malted caramels. For a treat, try the Bomb; smooth ice-cream encased in a crisp chocolate dome. Cones and sundaes can be pleasingly paired with a malted milk coffee or hot chocolate as well as a choice of milkshakes and floats.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 10
- Open since: 2013
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.