- Telephone 07584 637416
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–6pm.
- Average price £4 (lunch)
- Website www.oinkhogroast.co.uk
Cracklingly delicious slow-roasted hog rolls from this farm-owned takeaway and café.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With a whole roasted pig in the window it’s fairly obvious what this place is about: slow roasted hog rolls and that’s about it. The hogs are reared at the owner's family farm, Slighhouses in the Borders, where they also grow the grain they feed on. The hogs are roasted at the farm for 15 hours then delivered to Oink daily; you can’t get fresher than that. Victoria Street is mainly a takeaway with a handful of seats (and queues out the door), while Canongate is larger and a better choice for sitting-in. Both locations have the same options: choice of roll, size (as in how much meat you want), toppings like haggis or stuffing, and a choice of four sauces. The meat is moist and tender having roasted in nothing but some salt and its own juices. And whatever you do, don’t forget to ask for some super-crispy crackling.
- High point: No gluten-free rolls, but if you bring your own they’ll fill it
- Low point: Very popular – expect queues (though they do move quickly)
- Notable dish: Hog roast
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Radio
- Capacity: 23
- Largest group: 0
- Open since: 2013