The Inn on the Mile
- Telephone 0131 556 9940
- Bar open Sun–Thu 9am–midnight; Fri/Sat 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.theinnonthemile.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Those familiar with its previous incarnation, the Bank Bar, will have noticed quite a transformation. Out goes the central bar, replaced by blue leather booths, trendy oversized lampshades and small bistro-style tables in a stripped-back room of exposed whitewashed brickwork and soothing grey tones. The elegant walk-up bar ticks all the right boxes with a strong list of vino and fizz, half a dozen well sourced ales and a very respectable range of single malts. Wine, beer and whisky flights aid the indecisive with a handful of cocktails on offer and a nip and half-pint throwback for the old school. While the table service tucker may play to the tourist masses, the menu is tight enough to ensure that most dishes are executed properly. Wrapped in newsprint, a flaky fresh fish supper gets the big reveal with comfortingly crispy batter and well-seasoned chips, arriving alongside Crombies bangers and a good-looking burger. Decent menu options for the wee ones, an appealing Sunday roast and a few sought-after outside tables complete a comprehensive makeover.
- High point: This Jack of all trades should have mass appeal
- Low point: Keep the retractable TV screens hidden – they ruin the vibe
- Notable dish: Fish supper
- No. overnight rooms: 9
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rock and pop
- Live entertainment: Monday night quiz; Thurs–Sat live music
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle