The Other Place
- Telephone 0131 556 1024
- Opening times Mon–Fri 11am–1am; Sat/Sun 9am–1am
- Bar open Mon–Fri 11am–1pm; Sat/Sun 10am–1pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10am; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.theotherplaceedinburgh.com
Unpretentious Canonmills pub with friendly service and a Man Vs Food-style eating Challenge for the brave.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The friendly people behind this unpretentious Canonmills pub want to make it ‘feel like your second home’ – hence the name The Other Place (which could also be a reference to the other pub at the same crossroads, diagonally opposite). The decor is somewhere in between Edinburgh and New York; there’s a historical map of the neighbourhood on the ceiling, with references to the Big Apple all over the menu and bare brick walls. The menu has plenty of American nods too; bowls of brisket beer chilli with melted cheese, pulled pork burritos, hot dogs with barbecue sauce can all be accompanied with fixins of slaw, cajun fries or mini portions of macaroni cheese. The brave can take on The Other Challenge – devouring an Edinburgh Man Vs Food-style proposition involving a monster-sized triple-chilli cheeseburger and a mountainous pile of sides in under 20 minutes (only eight people have managed in 3 years, apparently.) They also do 120 beers, homemade ice-cream sundaes and bargain £3.50 prosecco with weekend brunch.
- High point: A warm welcome from the bar staff
- Low point: Vegetarian choices are limited
- Notable dish: Venison and pork hot dog with jalapeños, barbecue sauce, fried onions, roast peppers and cheese
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle