This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 629 5040
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm
- Seasonal times Open all day during Festival and for Six Nations games
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–2pm, 5.30–10.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £9.90 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Website theatelierrestaurant.co.uk
Good-value experimental cuisine for adventurous diners looking for wow factor.
There is a lot happening at The Atelier, both on and off the plate, where chef Maciek Zielinski pushes the boundaries in this French-named Scottish restaurant serving modern European dishes. A starter of prawns and pork belly comes crowded with fennel, rhubarb and licorice and a loin of tangy mutton is trumped by the rich neck pie served alongside. But neither can beat the simplicity of a perfectly cooked, aged ribeye steak on puréed potato. Styles collide in the décor too, where a vast slate wall contrasts with orange and purple button-back chairs and matching lampshades. The owners have collected a dizzying array of crockery on which to present each course. Service is spot on here – the waiter knows the menu and ingredients back to front. The wine list is extensive, the food inexpensive and with a lunch offer of under a tenner for two courses, this place offers top-end fine dining at affordable prices. It’s all delicious, even if there's a little bit too much going on at times.
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £16.80 per bottle