Taco Mazama Mexican Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 225 4729
- Seasonal times Open later during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Thu 11.30am–9pm; Fri/Sat 11.30am–10pm; Sun 11.30am–8pm.
- Average price £9.99 (lunch); £9.99 (evening meal)
- Website www.tacomazama.co.uk
Casual Mexican kitchen in the heart of the New Town offering budget-friendly food to shoppers and party-goers alike.
Slap-bang in the middle of Princes Street isn’t the most obvious spot for a Mexican restaurant, but Taco Mazama’s sixth joint is another addition to its growing success story. Nip down the stairs into a sparse wee place with a handful of tables and chairs, where it’s all plastic cutlery and metal dishware – no frills, no fuss. If you’re looking to splash out, Taco Mazama isn’t the place for you; servers painstakingly weigh out the portion sizes. Luckily though the beef chilli burrito bowl is fairly tasty: curiously sweet with cinnamon and cloves, but not without packing a kick. The pulled pork quesadilla tastes suspiciously similar, but a handful of jalapeños lend some heat to an otherwise standard dish. For an in-and-out quickie dinner, the relaxed atmosphere – staff on mobiles, or out front chatting to their friends – works alongside the kitschy sugar skulls and succulents that pass for decoration.
- High point: Quick service, good deals
- Low point: Stingy with fillings
- Delivery: ask for details
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff playlist
- Capacity: 25
- Open since: 2013