The Grassmarket Café
- Telephone 0131 225 3626
- Seasonal times April–September 8am–5pm; Festival: Mon–Sun 8am–9.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–4pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website grassmarket.org
Old Town café which is part of the Grassmarket Community Project supporting some of Edinburgh's most marginalised communities.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Although it is very good at being one, the Grassmarket Café is so much more than just a café. A social enterprise for people who may otherwise be marginalised by society means that your typical full-on Scottish breakfast or neatly presented toastie and salad at lunchtime aren’t only feeding locals and tourists in the heart of the Old Town, but providing properly paid employment to help people into the job market. Made-to-order sandwiches and wraps with popular fillings, such as spicy tuna and red onion, or chicken and smoked bacon, come with field fresh greens, tomatoes and chopped peppers, although they don’t particularly need the additional accompaniment of tortilla chips and slightly viscous salsa. Cakes and tray bakes are bought in locally and work happily in partnership with satisfying coffee or Fairtrade tea.
- High point: Social enterprise products for sale, including re-crafted church pews
- Low point: Official stop point for en-masse tour groups
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening; contemporary
- Live entertainment: Saturday family days with films showing in the theatre space
- Capacity: 34 (24 outdoors)
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2013