- Telephone 0131 477 7778
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £7 (set lunch)
- Website www.maialino.co.uk
A taste of Italy in Edinburgh's West End. Great Italian sandwiches, soups and a deli too.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Maialino is a little piece of Tuscany in the West End. Owner Claudio Sapienza is keen to share his passion for the best Italian cured meats, cheeses, homemade chutneys and seasonal ingredients with regulars who live and work in the area. In this tiny café and deli, Claudio and his team offer tasty homemade soups, salads, paninis, toasties and sandwiches. The Angry Giuseppe sandwich is a delicious mix of spianata calabrese (extra hot salami), brie de meaux, rocket and roasted red peppers, or go for the Italian / Scottish combination of speck with Mull of Kintyre cheddar and sun-blushed tomatoes. For breakfast, the Tuscan pancetta roll is a favourite, and there’s also a range of Italian produce to peruse in the deli. If you’re looking for a taste of Italy in Edinburgh, look no further.
- High point: Great Italian sandwiches
- Low point: Only a couple of seats inside
- Notable dish: Angry Guiseppe sandwich
- Delivery: Local office lunch platters
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 6
- Open since: 2013