- Telephone 0141 649 7588
- Food served Wed–Sun noon–11pm Closed Mon/Tue
- Pre-theatre times Wed–Fri 5pm–6.30pm
- Average price £9.95 (inc. glass wine); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.frosoullas.co.uk
Greek food with an impeccable pedigree – all the classics cooked to family recipes in a smart, modern restaurant, with excellent service.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
It’s all about family at Frosoulla's. From the waitress who greets you like a long-lost relative to the Mediterranean indulgence towards children, Frosoulla's feels like the Greek family you never had. Add to that the traditional hand-me-down recipes that imbue the cuisine with an earthy authenticity. Saganaki is a harmonious marriage of seafood and feta in a light tomato and ouzo bisque. Kleftiko, fall-apart slow-roast lamb on the bone, has been prepared to the same family recipe for almost half a century and is the house speciality. The best-value option is the four-course mezedes menu which reads like a roll-call of Greek classics including keftedes, dolmades, kofte, moussaka and a wonderful homemade taramasalata. Portions are generous so, despite the good-quality cooking, many diners end up taking boxes of left-overs home. But it’s not all old-school. Keen to meet modern diners’ needs, Frosoulla has introduced a comprehensive vegan and vegetarian section, with animal-free versions of classic dishes, such as layered aubergine and potatoes in a silky red wine and tomato sauce, and a cassoulet of chickpeas and cannellini beans.
- High point: Running out of table for all the mezedes dishes
- Low point: Getting too full to eat all the mezedes dishes
- Notable dish: Kleftiko – slow-roast
- Private dining: 50 + 25
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: chart pop
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle