- Telephone 0131 662 4493
- Seasonal times Mon–Sat noon–late during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 5–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–6.45pm.
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.sylvestersedinburgh.co.uk
Friendly and pleasant bistro offering good-value modern Scottish cooking.
This pleasant corner restaurant in the heart of Edinburgh’s university district brings a dash of Scottish cuisine to an area famed for ethnically diverse eateries. It's a popular choice for academics and visiting parents, with its unusually diverse lunch and early-dining menu, so there’s a lot to be said for getting in before 7pm when the pricier à la carte kicks in. A dome of smoked haddock fishcake is a generous and fine starter, while a round of warm goat’s cheese, set off with a lovely beetroot purée, is a lighter option. Chef-owner Kieran Sylvester showcases the variety and versatility of Scottish produce with the likes of a light sea bass fillet gently seasoned with roasted garlic and basil oil, accompanied with simple griddled strips of Mediterranean vegetables. Alternatively, try his pork fillets, stuffed with spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and olives, served up with a mustard mash. Sylvester’s is a solid option for Old Town Scottish dining.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Rock and pop
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £17.45 per bottle