Babu Bombay Street Kitchen
- Telephone 0141 204 4042
- Food served Mon 8am–4pm; Tue–Sat 8am–9pm. Closed Sun. Closed Sun
- Average price £5.50 (set lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.babu-kitchen.com
An authentic slice of Indian street-food cuisine and hospitality, all wrapped up in one tiny bundle in the city centre.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
One of Glasgow’s best street-food scene operatives, Babu can easily be ranked as one of the city’s best providers of authentic Indian cuisine. From compact premises close to Blythswood Square come top Indian snacks in surroundings suited to those looking to grab something fresh, innovative and authentic on the go. Now with a sit-in area to boot, diners are sure to be impressed with the fresh, unique and satisfying food here. With a range of original sandwiches and wraps using bread, puris and rotis, Babu also offer snack pots made up of rice and curry, or ‘dahl of the day’ – where authentic ingredients help to create explosive flavour combinations to delight diners. And for those all caffeined out, real chai is available almost on tap. Whether it’s their tiffin service for the office lunch, sampling their wares on the go, or sitting at one of the delicately poised tables within this tiny enticing space, this is a restaurant Indian food lovers will return to again and again. The charming, attentive staff give Babu – unusually for the city centre – the feel of a friendly neighbourhood haunt.
- High point: Excellent food
- Low point: Tiny plastic seat
- Notable dish: Punjabi chana masala
- Delivery: £2
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 18-20
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: £3.50 / Beer £1 per bottle (£5 for 6) corkage