- Telephone 0131 622 7447
- Food served Mon–Tue 8am–6pm; Wed–Sat 8am–10pm; Sun 9.30am–6pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
Family-run restaurant on busy Cockburn Street, ideal for intimate dining and home-cooking.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
La Locanda is an intimate wee place – one of the smaller branches of the Crolla family tree, it has a capacity of just 20. Fortunately, the tables are well-spaced, and it never feels claustrophobic, staying just the right side of cosy. It's a favourite with tourists, thanks to its prime location on Cockburn Street, but the service is friendly and welcoming. The relatively small menu is full of old staples: it's all about easy Italian here, with the usual suspects of mozzarella salad to start and pasta for main, but that's no bad thing. The chef clearly knows good Italian food, and the well-edited the menu reflects that. If you plan on visiting, go hungry: the portions are unapologetically large (three balls of mozzarella in a starter), and you'd be wise to save room for dessert, since the excellent ice cream is (naturally) from the Crolla's too.
- High point: Great service
- Low point: Small menu
- Notable dish: Homemade lasagne
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £18.90 per bottle