- Telephone 0131 337 3995
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–2pm & 6–11pm; Sat & Sun 3–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 6–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 6–10pm.
- Average price £15.50 (evening meal)
- Website riverlifeedinburgh.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
A new opening in 2012 in the less fashionable culinary end of town, Riverlife brings to the Edinburgh market its singular blend of French and Caribbean cooking. Inspired by the upbringing of lead chef Mario Caneval on the island of Guadeloupe and a subsequent career working in hotels and restaurants in Paris and Scotland, the décor is rough and ready but the menu offers a break from the norm. The regular à la carte selection is more French-flavoured, with rack of lamb, confit duck leg and chicken supreme served alongside a signature rustic butterbean cassoulet. On the first Sunday of every month or by arrangement for groups if booked ten days in advance, however, the Caribbean buffet features dishes like chicken liver Malibu, goat and vegetable curry and a spicy jerk chicken leg.
- High point: A marriage of influences you won’t find anywhere else
- Low point: Caribbean menu only an occasional option
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- BYOB: no charge corkage