- Telephone 0131 558 1002
- Food served Tue–Fri 10am–6pm; Sat/Sun 11am–6pm; closed Mon. Closed Mon
- Average price £9 (lunch); £19 for afternoon tea (set evening meal)
- Website www.casaangelina.co.uk
A small tearoom with a big character, serving delicious homemade breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea in a vintage setting.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If the cake counter and vintage armchairs don’t give it away, the mismatched crockery, strainers and doilies make it clear that Casa Angelina’s aim is to show you the proper way to take tea. The setting is traditional but the food has a modern twist. Salads come stuffed with super-food ingredients such as alfalfa and quinoa. Everything from the ketchup in the bacon sandwiches to the horseradish crème-fraîche in the hot-smoked salmon rolls is handmade on site. There are vegan and gluten free choices galore and ingredients are seasonal, local, free from additives and organic wherever possible. But the real showstopper here is the afternoon tea; a sumptuous spread of cakes, scones and sandwiches washed down with pots of loose-leaf tea. The back room can be booked for parties and for a tearoom, this place also makes a great cup of coffee.
- High point: A small place with a big character
- Low point: Tucked in a basement, it’s easy to miss
- Notable dish: Bacon sandwich with homemade ketchup
- Delivery: Deliver special occasion cakes
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Billie Holiday or whatever takes the owner's mood.
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage (You can bring your own fizz to afternoon tea)