Stac Polly Brasserie, Wine and Gin Bar
- Telephone 0131 556 2231
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2pm.
- Average price £15.90 (set lunch)
- Website www.stacpolly.com/brasserie/…
Renovated bar and brasserie arm of traditional Scottish restaurant offering a decent weekday lunch.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The brasserie and gin bar above the traditional Stac Polly restaurant offers a modern, stylish lunch or drinks venue, with clean pine furniture and contemporary landscapes on the wall. It’s an attractive choice for parties and groups looking for a reasonable New Town location to gather for drinks with canapés or sharing platters. There's also a full-on offer at lunchtime with some of the same dishes as the restaurant below. Starters include baked filo parcels of haggis on a bed of homemade sweet plum sauce or perhaps a warm pickled beetroot, plum tomato and red onion tarte tatin with goat’s cheese for vegetarians. Hearty diners could try a rump of lamb with rosemary-sautéed potatoes for a main course and to finish, experiment with a bite of Chilled Edinburgh Fog, a glass full of Glayva liqueur, mascarpone cream, honey, meringue and fruit compote.
- High point: Stylish and comfortable spot
- Low point: A confused identity doesn't draw in the crowds
- Notable dish: Venison stew
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £19.75 per bottle