Once Upon a Tart
- Telephone 0141 552 0305
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9.30–5pm.
- Average price £6 (set lunch)
- Website www.onceuponatart.co.uk
A zany fantasyland of cakes a-plenty with a bit of rock 'n' roll attitude to boot.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The whimsical madness of Once Upon A Tart might not be for everyone, but it’s certainly something to behold, as one walks into an onslaught of pink and black and fairytale-meets-heavy metal. It’s a kitchen and bakehouse with the latter at the fore – cakestands rising from the counter with all manner of sugary joy. Slabs of red velvet and Victoria sponge are moist and decadent, brownies are brightened up by fresh berries, and apple pie is pleasingly light and crisp. The savouries are straightforward, principally of the sandwich/ciabatta/toasted/untoasted ilk, and the afternoon tea (no licence, but BYOB) is worth a look. Mind you, even at lunchtime, the temptation of griddled pancakes and bacon with maple syrup might be too much. The sweetest teeth are the happiest ones here.
- High point: One of a kind décor …
- Low point: … but sometimes a bit chaotic
- Notable dish: Double-layered Victoria sponge, or any other cake
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2012
- BYOB: £3 corkage