- Telephone 0141 334 7132
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.30pm
Live music, Southern US-style food and decent beers, all in a log cabin meets American bar venue.
With a distinct wooden façade and plenty of outdoor seating, you can’t help but notice Bar Gumbo. The mysterious wooden theme continues inside with panels a-plenty, tree trunk pillars, burgers in wooden trays, and giant racks of ribs served on fat boards. There’s nothing wooden about the live music, however, which is on most nights of the week and includes jazz, blues, rockabilly and soul. The Southern USA menu (which is due an overhaul in spring 2017) features gumbo – a rich tomato-based stew with peppers and okra, with either chicken, shrimp or vegetable, or jambalaya with chicken and chorizo. Alternatively, there’s lots of carby goodness on offer, like various Po’ Boyz – big, soft ciabattas with hot fillings such as buttermilk fried chicken and blue cheese sauce, or pulled pork with barbecue sauce. The Gumbo mac and cheese starter is covered in chewy mozzarella, beef brisket and jalapeños – not particularly sophisticated, but darned good. Desserts include deep-fried cheesecake, which is an experience to behold – the creamy, sweet melted middle oozes out of hot, crispy batter – it’s so wrong but oh so right.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bluegrass and bluesy-soul- jazz style music, though you’ll mostly hear live bands
- Live entertainment: Soul/rockabilly/blues/jazz Weds/Fri/Sat/Sun, occasional open mic nights
- Capacity: 90 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle