- Box office 0131 555 5552
- General enquiries 0131 555 5552
- Food served Mon–Sun 4–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 4–6.30pm
- Average price £23 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14
- Website www.mintleafrestaurant.co.uk
Indian and Thai dishes are served to high standards in this high-ceilinged, decadently decorated and intimately lit venue.
North African riad-styled Mintleaf is an unusual Leith establishment, placed just around the corner from the fancy bars and restaurants of the Shore. The decorative influences and combined Thai and Indian menu means first impressions feel a little unfocused, but those brave enough to enter won’t be disappointed. There’s a lot of choice and the quality of the cooking on the Indian menu (in particular) is a cut above the average. The house speciality seabass tenga starter is beautifully cooked with lime, ginger, chilli and a sweet and sour dressing. On the Thai menu, the special roast duck with honey sauce is also crispy and tender, though the accompanying sweet chilli sauce is unnecessary. An excellent murgh jalfaraizi Indian main is gently sweet and flavoursome, packed full of vegetables and soft juicy chicken while the vegetarian Thai green curry is also very good. Accompanied with plain pilau rice and a lovely fried paratha bread, it all makes a very satisfying meal and from a little Indian oasis in the heart of Leith.
- High point: Lovingly crafted, unusually good Indian menu
- Low point: Leopard print wallpaper in the loo makes for a Marmite moment
- Notable dish: Seabass tenga
- Private dining: 2 dining rooms - one seats 10, one seats 25.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern Indian background music
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle