The Sparkle Horse
A neighbourhood bar where people in bands go for drinks, great value food and lively conversation when they found they’ve accidentally grown up.
Although only 5 years old, the Sparklehorse is a much-loved institution in the West End. That’s partly because it’s the ideal location for the students, musos and general bohemians who dwell in this most populous part of town, and partly because it’s a laid-back affair with an old-fashioned charm – and one of the best playlists you’ll hear. The food is decent too, from gigantic portions of bar food staples like deep-fried mozzarella sticks, to dishes less stodgy such as the kitchen’s homemade hummus. Everything has a homemade ruggedness – puy lentil and sweet potato shepherd’s pie that overflows from its dish, or the deep, savoury jus of the coq au vin, with its brisk wine finish. Burgers, mac ’n' cheese and the steak bavette are the most popular trio. Children and dogs are warmly embraced, as are eclecticism and geniality. These are the sorts of things at which the Sparklehorse excels.
- High point: As laid back as they come
- Low point: Beer selection is a bit behind the times
- Notable dish: Puy lentil shepherd's pie
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: So much more than just Sparklehorse and Bis - but it's all stuff the musos will appreciate!
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Glasgow Knit 'n Stitch
Welcome to the Glasgow Knit 'n Stitch Group. We sit, we knit, we crochet, we stitch, we spin, we chat, we laugh, we eat & drink in venues all over Glasgow. Why not check out our Pages link to find out more about us? Membership: FREE. Sponsored by "Old Maiden Aunt Yarns", Studio 99B, Main Street, West Kilbride, KA23…