Yo Hot Pot
- Telephone 0141 237 2440
- Opening times Mon–Fri 5–10pm; Sat & Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £16.99 (evening meal)
Hotpots are popular all over China and Southeast Asia, but this is one of the few places you’ll find them here. They’re a sort of cross between a fondue and a stew – choose your soup base (chicken stock, pork stock, miso, hot and spicy) and then cook all sorts of meat, fish, veg and dumplings in it. Sliced lamb and pork are done in a minute or so, with cooking times increasing as you work your way through lobster balls, potatoes or turnips, tofu, wonton or black fungus, up to five minutes for squid or brown crab. The broth infuses the food, and perhaps coolest of all, you get to make your own dipping sauce from sesame and chilli oils, oyster and soy sauces, garlic, crispy onions, etc. Expect salty, fiery results, (the hot and spicy broth can pack a serious kick, too). It’s a fun (and healthy) way to eat. In the narrow confines of Master Sun’s, custom is principally Chinese students who know the score, but staff are happy to talk newbies through the process. It feels a bit DIY, for sure, but it’s a matter of personal taste, of being able to experiment without having to gamble an entire meal on an ingredient you’ve never tried before. It’s an enjoyable journey, more often than not.
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chinese, Japanese and Korean pop, and Western Pop
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.90 per bottle