The Royal Dick Bar & Bistro
- Box office 0131 560 1581
- General enquiries 0131 560 1572
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/the-royal-dick/
Relaxed, airy space with bistro staples and great beer and gin produced on site
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Across the courtyard at the back, you'll find Summerhall’s bar and bistro, both open year-round. The restaurant is an airy, L-shaped affair, scattered with well-spaced, second-hand tables and chairs. Former vet students might recognise some of the bones and microscopes displayed, though perhaps not the pith helmets and clay masks which decorate the walls. The menu is less eclectic, with fish and chips with mushy peas or the Royal Dick burger available for lunch and dinner. Later on the dinner choices are then boosted by the likes of beetroot risotto, a slim fillet of seabass with a sprig of samphire, or a hearty bowl of juicy lamb chops with mint couscous. Starters include mussels in a wine or coconut sauce, mac 'n' cheese or ‘light bites’ like chips with blue cheese mayo. For drinks there are some great cocktails and a small wine list. As a bonus you can also sip on a Barney’s beer or Pickering’s gin, both of which are brewed and distilled on site.
- High point: Barney's beer brewed on site
- Low point: Disappointing seabass
- Notable dish: Lamb chops, mint sauce and couscous
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: indie
- Live entertainment: Jam sessions with trad music or DJs - sometimes planned sometimes spontaneous
- Capacity: 56
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
PhD in an Hour
Enjoy a cup of tea while a PhD student shares their findings and ideas.