The Royal Dick Bar & Bistro
- Box office 0131 560 1581
- General enquiries 0131 560 1572
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/the-royal-dick/
Spirited, friendly and engaging, the Royal Dick is a key part of the Summerhall buzz.
Summerhall, off the Meadows, is a special place and increasingly a fixture on Edinburgh’s cultural map. The venue's own Royal Dick Bar & Bistro has built a loyal following as people discover this lovely spot on their adventures around the arts complex. Overlooking a courtyard, there's plentiful seating for nice days too. The Dick showcases Barney’s beer and Pickering’s Gin – both of which are made on-site. A sharing platter of cured meats, seasoned olives, hummus and crunchy fried sticks of Orkney cheddar isjust the ticket with a pint of one of the four Barney’s beers. If hunger precludes much sharing, try the 14-hour slow-cooked oxtail and Barney’s Porter stew, piled high on creamy chive mash. Equally appealing, the Royal Dick meatball marinara is massed onto a brioche bun which is only slightly let down by a less than robust portion of chips. Cheesecake of the day is fun if you can manage to squeeze it in.
- High point: Good drink and yummy food to make you smile
- Low point: Not immediately easy to find
- Notable dish: 14-hour slow-cooked oxtail and Barneys Porter stew
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Wide mix
- Live entertainment: Jam sessions with trad music or DJs - sometimes planned, sometimes spontaneous
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Events at this venue
PhD in an Hour
Enjoy a cup of tea while a PhD student shares their findings and ideas.
Tue 25 Jul
Free / 0131 650 4874
- 18:00 – 19:00
Win tickets to the National Theatre of Scotland production of How to Act at Summerhall
Win two tickets to the National Theatre of Scotland production of How to Act at Summerhall, for any performance between 2 – 6 August.