The Royal Dick Bar & Bistro
- Box office 0131 560 1581
- General enquiries 0131 560 1572
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–late; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–8pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm.
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/the-royal-dick/
Spirited, friendly and engaging, the Royal Dick is a big part of the Summerhall buzz.
The Royal Dick acts as the cheerful beating heart of the various workshops, venues, studios and businesses that make up Edinburgh’s inimitable Summerhall complex. Indeed, it’s a primary outlet for some of them, serving both Barney’s beer and Pickering’s gin, both made a very short stone’s throw away. Being such a crucial part of a cultural hub brings a bubbling vibrancy to this former veterinary hospital, and as drinkers and diners are made equally welcome, sitting space for dinner can be hard to find. There’s a pubby feel to the menu, with a strong focus on quick bites and sandwiches, and a couple of main options thrown in for good measure. From the fryer, jalapeño poppers and puff pastry samosas make for moreish bar snacks, while a substantial brisket-filled Reuben or a comforting aubergine parmigiana might help sop up a beer or two (or three). There’s hardly a surfeit of sophistication to the cooking, but that’s ok, as the place itself beats with enough life to ensure a good time, all the time.
- Private dining: 40, 10
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Live entertainment: Poetry nights, Goose's quiz night Mondays 7pm, Summerhall ticketed events
- Capacity: 100 (60 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £22 per bottle