The Royal Dick Bar & Bistro
- Box office 0131 560 1581
- General enquiries 0131 560 1572
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–late; Fri–Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–8.45pm; Fri–Sat noon–10pm.
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/the-royal-dick/
Spirited, friendly and engaging, the Royal Dick is a big part of the Summerhall buzz.
If you haven’t visited the Royal Dick yet, what’s stopping you? A cosy space made up of interjoining rooms, it’s a haven for students, locals, families (especially on a sunny day when the generous, enclosed terrace comes into its own) and culture-lovers attending Summerhall’s eclectic programme of music, exhibitions and events. The décor harks back to the building’s origins as the city’s former vet school and the complex is home to both Barney’s Beers and Pickering’s Gin, both of which are represented behind the bar – when it comes to drinking local, you can’t get more local than that. The food tends towards the casual (perfect for countering the effects of the aforementioned beer and gin). There’s a grilled rarebit, a generous charcuterie platter and Manna House bread in the bruschetta, while arancini are huge and far from the delicate bar bites you might expect. Mains include a successful fish finger sandwich from the specials board while a veggie wellington with a chunky mushroom filling, bound with a creamy cheese sauce, will keep non meat-eaters happy. It’s all good hearted and good natured, if not hugely refined, and a perfectly fine way to kick back and relax with friends.
- Private dining: 10, 15
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Poetry nights and Summerhall ticketed events
- Capacity: 100 (60 outdoors)
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18 per bottle