The Royal Dick Bar & Bistro
- Box office 0131 560 1581
- General enquiries 0131 560 1572
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/the-royal-dick/
Spirited, friendly and engaging, the Royal Dick is a key part of the Summerhall buzz.
Summerhall, off the Meadows, is a special place and increasingly a fixture on Edinburgh’s cultural map. The venue's own Royal Dick Bar & Bistro has built a loyal following as people discover this lovely spot on their adventures around the arts complex. Overlooking a courtyard, there's plentiful seating for nice days too. The Dick showcases Barney’s beer and Pickering’s Gin – both of which are made on-site. A sharing platter of cured meats, seasoned olives, hummus and crunchy fried sticks of Orkney cheddar is just the ticket with a pint of one of the four Barney’s beers. If hunger precludes much sharing, try the 14-hour slow-cooked oxtail and Barney’s Porter stew, piled high on creamy chive mash. Equally appealing, the Royal Dick meatball marinara is massed onto a brioche bun which is only slightly let down by a less than robust portion of chips. Cheesecake of the day is fun if you can manage to squeeze it in.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Wide mix
- Live entertainment: Jam sessions with trad music or DJs - sometimes planned, sometimes spontaneous
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle