Restauracja U Jarka
- Telephone 07756 970306
- Opening times Mon & Wed 7–9pm; Thu & Fri 6–9pm; Sat & Sun noon–9pm; closed Tue.
- Bar open Sun/Mon & Wed/Thu 6–11pm; Fri/Sat 12.30pm–midnight
- Food served Mon & Wed 7–9pm; Thu/Fri 6–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm. Closed Tue.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
Terrific Polish restaurant next to Kelvingrove Park, where food is prepared with love and served with warmth and humour.
Perhaps most accurately described as a Polish farmhouse kitchen, Restauracja U Jarka, with husband and wife in the kitchen and daughter leading the front of house, is all about cooking from the heart. Their handling of barszcz czysty, the clear beetroot soup, litmus test for any Polish restaurant worth their salt, is indicative of this – a time-served family recipe that contains, among others, marjoram, celeriac, carrot and oregano. This is the best, and most nutritious dish, you will find in Glasgow at £1. Much of the menu shows why Polish cuisine has a reputation for being comforting and wholesome – zupa w chleble, a deep, rich beef stew is encased in a homemade bread bowl, while mains, including a superb veal schnitzel, are served with chive potatoes, salad, coleslaw and cabbage. While it runs two streets parallel with the trendy Finnieston strip, it is almost as if U Jarka has been given the cold shoulder by its more fashionable neighbours but a visit will leave you with a full stomach and the warm feeling of being adopted by a Polish family.
- High point: Fantastic range of niche Polish beers
- Low point: Only two types of dessert: cheesecake or berry cheesecake
- Notable dish: Royal coat - pork, omelette, pineapple and peach
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £9 per bottle