Restauracja U Jarka
- Telephone 07756 970306
- Opening times Mon & Wed 7–9pm; Thu & Fri 6–9pm; Sat & Sun noon–9pm; closed Tue.
- Bar open Sun/Mon & Wed/Thu 6–11pm; Fri/Sat 12.30pm–midnight
- Food served Mon & Wed 7–9pm; Thu/Fri 6–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30-10pm. Closed Tue.
Terrific Polish restaurant next to Kelvingrove Park, where great food is prepared with love and served with warmth and humour.
Nestled in the heart of the West End’s Polish Club, U Jarka offers an unforgettable insight into that country’s cuisine. Traditional Polish dishes are executed with a skill and generosity that the chef imparts to the surrounding community by teaching local school children to make pierogi dumplings. Placki, or potato pancakes, are another speciality, light in texture like flattened herby dumplings, and served either with mushroom sauce, or a softly melting beef stew rich with gravy. Fried trout with almonds makes a lighter alternative and may even leave you with some room for delicious cheesecake after. A hearty appetite is more important than a fat wallet here, soups start at £1.20 for the borsch, so an excellent meal can be enjoyed for less than the price of a bus ticket home again. Cooking and portions alike are substantial and hearty, washed down by their list of very reasonably priced Polish beers and wines. Every chair, table and picture here tells a story, and if you’re lucky enough to meet owners Jolanta and Jaroslaw, they’ll share them all.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed pop
- Live entertainment: Occasional live violin & accordion music
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £9 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best budget dining in Glasgow31 May 2018
Where to grab some cheap grub in Glasgow
We've picked out some of Glasgow's best restaurants to head to if you're trying to save a penny or two. These guys are proof that you don't have to spend a fortune in Glasgow to get a truly good feed. Simple ingredients, friendly staff and good vibes…