Papercup Coffee Company
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–4pm
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website papercupcoffeecompany.bigcartel.com
Brilliant coffee and a chirpy atmosphere, delightful baked eggs and a vibrant, veggie-friendly menu at this popular West End hangout.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
One of the city’s handful of places with serious coffee credentials. There’s always a blend for the V60, another for the Aeropress, a regular espresso, as well as a cold brew (until it sells out, and it always does). If coffee is your thing, this is as good as it gets. But there’s absolutely no pretension to Papercup. Aficionados sit alongside students and workers in a space that’s small and ramshackle – but genuinely warm. Toasted sourdough pops up often – in a zingy sandwich of halloumi, mushroom, pesto and lemon, or beneath poached eggs and avocado. They’re big on eggs (as with coffee and atmosphere, an Australian influence is apparent) – baked eggs in a little skillet with a sprinkling of smoked paprika is a popular dish. Lots of vegetarian options, and some just-eat-me-now sweets – salted caramel and peanut butter cookies, courgette, banana and coconut cake – add to the considerable appeal.
- High point: Coffee and baked eggs, Melbourne-style
- Low point: Hard to get a seat at busy times
- Notable dish: Baked eggs with chorizo and sourdough toast
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quirky and cool stuff off Spotify
- Capacity: 25 (6 outdoors)
- Open since: 2012