- Telephone 01290 429230
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–8.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–5pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.dumfriesarms.co.uk
Smartly upgraded mid-sized village hotel, with a restaurant, bar, daytime café and evening cocktail bar.
A little confusingly to non-Ayrshire folk, the Dumfries Arms Hotel is situated nowhere near Dumfries, but an hour north in the Ayrshire village of Cumnock. Its current incarnation is a modern development of an 18th-century building which has played host to Sir Walter Scott and Robert Burns in its time, with 26 rooms holding accommodation space for 120 guests. Weddings and functions are catered for, while the bar and restaurant is open to non-residents, serving fresh, local produce and offering very reasonable lunch and dinner deals. A sample dinner menu will start with chicken liver and Ayrshire ham hock pâté served with real ale chutney, oatcakes and salad, for example, with braised blade of beef or 12-hour cooked roast ham as a main, while more exotic tastes may prefer an open chicken fajita or a lamb jalfrezi.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi